When it comes to home remodeling and renovations, you wouldn’t be alone in presuming that window frames would not be of major concern to you.
However, you will more likely be surprised to learn that identifying the ideal window for each room in your home is a lot more complicated than you think.
Believe it or not, there are quite a few different kinds of window frames. Each frame has its own unique pro and cons and ideal uses. While that may sound intimidating, relax – by having all the information you need, you will make the right choice for your project.
The 4 Basic Window Types
First of all, while their shapes, sizes and styles differ, there are primarily four main window frame types. Your choices are aluminum frames, fiberglass window frames, vinyl frames and good old-fashioned wood window frames.
By understanding the pros and cons of each kinds of frames, you can then make an informed decision. Read on to find out how you can choose the right type(s) of window frames for your home.
Aluminium Window Frames
- Pros: Known for their durability, aluminum window frames are fairly modern, and suit a chic contemporary style home or office very well. They allow for a lot of light to filter through, and require little to no upkeep. Since they don’t really get affected by outer elements, they don’t rot or become moldy like wood can do.
- Cons: Despite manufacturer claims, this type of window is not very energy-efficient compared to most other types. They’re also quite pricey, second only to wooden windows in costliness. Fiberglass and vinyl are both cheaper options than aluminum window frames.
Fiberglass Window Frames
- Pros: Fiberglass window frames have the advantage of being almost maintenance free, hardy and long-lasting like aluminium windows, but not as expensive. It has the ability to contract and expand at almost the exact same rate as the glass window it frames. Fiberglass frames are thus highly weather- and water-resistant. They are also known as the most energy-efficient window frame material.
- Cons: Aesthetically, fiberglass doesn’t compare well to wooden frames, as it is rather drab-looking. For a similar look and at less cost, you could get vinyl windows and achieve virtually the same result, in terms of appearance and energy-efficiency.
Vinyl Window Frames
- Pros: Vinyl, or polyvinyl chloride (PVC) window frames are made from the same material as what plumbers use for making pipes and fittings. Vinyl frames have a very reasonable price and are highly energy-efficient. Hence, they are a very appealing option for home owners on a tight budget.
- Cons: As versatile as they may be, vinyl windows aren’t very durable. They are not very chic or sophisticated in appearance. And they’re also nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as wooden windows. Adding on to the list, they are not as strong as the other window frame types.
Wooden Window Frames
- Pros: Representative of classic charm, when properly maintained, wooden window frames are as strong, as energy-efficient and as durable as any other window type.
- Cons: Compared to other options, wooden windows are the most expensive choice you could go for. They’re also the most vulnerable to the outer element. So you need to spend time and money on maintenance in order to retain the value of your investment.
About the contributor
This article is a contribution made by Apex Window Werks, a company that specializes in all types of wooden window and door repairs. Repairs include historic window restoration, broken glass replacement, defogging and more. Feel free to learn more by visiting their website.
Find reliable interior designers in Singapore
SGHomeNeeds provides a list of interior designers in Singapore. If your project is customised and would like to speak to a few reliable movers, SGHomeNeeds can also match you to an interior designer with your personalised requirements quickly and fuss-free.
You can find other complementary trades in home remodeling, such as:
- architects and building designers
- cabinets and countertops
- smart home
Imagine, you came home after a long hectic day at…Read More
Now that you have collected the keys to your new…Read More
Are you among those parents who are super busy with…Read More
Let’s face it, moving or relocating is very daunting and…Read More