In this FAQ, we attempt to answer all sorts of frequently asked questions (FAQs) from customers in Singapore, ranging from what aircon professionals provide, to the details of aircon chemical flushing and whether you should do it yourself.
What do aircon professionals provide?
Each aircon service company offer different services. As different brands of aircon may require different know-how to repair/service, it is important to clarify their services before engaging them.
The most common types of services are:
- Regular contract servicing/maintenance
- Air conditioner installation works
- Air conditioner repairs
- Chemical overhaul
- Chemical cleaning / Chemical flushing/ chemical wash
- Evaluate and advice
- Aircon installation
- Diagnostic and inspection
- Gas top ups and inspections
Why is the aircon not cold?
This is a common problem for many of us, especially when its summer and the aircon is not cooling enough. The main reasons why the aircon is not cold are as follow:
- The filter is dirty
- Temperate settings of air conditioner is too high
- Area capacity for air conditioner cooling is too large (i.e. not enough aircon units to cool the entire)/ the air conditioner installed is under-sized
- Thermostat is faulty
- Not enough compressor gas
- Refrigerant leakage
- Components of aircon may be faulty
- The indoor fancoil is dirty resulting in weak dissipation of cool air.
- The outdoor condenser is dirty resulting in incapable of producing cooling refrigerant.
- There may not be enough refrigerant in the air conditioning system.
- There might be some problem with the air conditioning system resulting in non-continuous operation of he system.
- Check if the door and windows are shut.
Regular aircon servicing in Singapore of at least once per year is advised to maintain the working conditions of the air conditioners to ensure your aircon is working fine and is cold all year long.
Why does aircon leak water?
It is pretty common for households to face leaking aircon every few years. While the exact cause must be determined by an aircon specialist, there could be several reasons for aircon leaking water, which includes:
- Clogged drainage pipe: Normally, the air conditioner’s water will condensate inside the fancoil. This will usually be released in the drainage pipe. If the drainage pipe is clogged or choked then water will start leaking. General aircon servicing normally involves the vacuuming of the drain pipe which may rectify the choked pipe problem.
- Wear and tear of the aircon
- Poor installation of aircon
- The gradient of the piping between the fan coil and drainage is too gentle causing leakage
These can result in aircon dripping water and you may require professionals fixing aircon leaking in Singapore.
Why is that water dripping from the outdoor condenser / compressor?
Aircon water leaking as a result of outdoor condenser or compressor is normal as condensation happens when condenser cools the surrounding warmer air.
Why does the aircon produce a foul smell?
There may be several reasons for this:
- Surrounding smell may be absorbed into the unit. Example could be small from furniture, cigerattes, food.
- Bacteria formed by microbes in the warm dark humid environment in the indoor fancoil unit may be causing the smell. Sometimes when the smell is very bad you may need a more intensive chemical treatment to rectify this problem.
- Pollutants like smoke from cigeratte or haze could be absorbed by the unit. The solution to this is intense chemical treatment of the air conditioner.
Why is my aircon noisy?
There cold be several reasons:
- Vibration noise resulted from dirty indoor fancoil/ outdoor condenser.
- Noisy draft resulted from dirty indoor fancoil
- Some components in the air conditioning system may be mounted loosely
- Faulty parts in the air conditioning syste.
Why is the aircon not working?
One common reason is that the electrical power is not being supplied to the air conditioner. It could be loose wiring or that the electrical panel is malfunctioning. A qualified professional should be engaged if it is more complicated than a simple repair.
When do I need a gas top up and or inspection?
Gas top ups is necessary in the case of unsealed leakage. Before topping up the gas, it is essential to seal the leaking areas. Once it is done, you do not need gas top up until there is a leakage issue again. A number of factors may lead to gas leakage.
These may include improper installation, poor quality copper pipe and more. We recommend you to ask an air con professional before attempting any gas top up on your own.
How often should I service my aircon?
The basic maintenance that is recommended is the cleaning of the air filter and outer panel of the air conditioner every 2 weeks. This will helps to improve the air conditioning of the room.
For a more in-depth servicing, it is recommended to service 3-4 times a year for residential properties, and once a month for commercial. Please seek the assessment of a qualified technician.
What does regular aircon contract servicing/maintenance includes?
Regular contract servicing/maintenance. Includes:
- Cleaning & checking air filter, front panel & cover
- Checking purifying filter
- Cleaning & checking indoor evaporator coil
- Cleaning & checking indoor drainage tray
- Vacuuming of drainage system
- Checking fan bearing and lubrication (if necessary)
- Checking compressor suction and discharge pressure
Find aircon servicing in Singapore today.
What benefits should I expect if I services my air con unit? What happen if I do not do any aircon servicing?
The benefits are as follow:
- Improved efficiency: Regular air conditioner servicing help improve the efficiency of the air conditioner unit. This saves electricity and cost over time (with lesser repairs needed and it working longer). The electrical consumption of the air conditioning equipment will be lower.
- Cooler rooms: Air conditioner units that are regularly maintained perform at their optimum capability leading to a cooler room.
- Lesser repairs and longer lifespan of air conditioner: If you don’t maintain your air conditioner regularly, like all products it will not last as long as it possibly can. Problems such as leakages will be minimized.
We strongly advice you to get the air con unit regularly serviced. Find more reviewed and rated professionals from our platform.
Can I DIY the general aircon services myself?
Whilst you can do simple maintenance work such as washing filters and cleaning the fancoil cover yourself, it is best to contact your air conditioner servicing provider so as to ensure your air conditioners are thoroughly serviced and checked.
Why must the fancoil unit be dismantle for chemical cleaning / chemical washing?
By dismantling the fan coil unit, the air conditioning individual components can be washed thoroughly, as compared to just inserting a water tray to wash away the chemical.
This will help better clean the unit and also not leaving behind chemical residue that may leas to the corrosion of the fan coil.
It is best to engage aircon chemical wash professionals in Singapore.
How should I know if my unit is set to its optimal temperature?
An air conditioner’s optimum temperature is 25-26 degrees. If you set at 1 degree higher, this could lead to an increase of operating cost at up to 15%.
Why does ice forms on the copper pipes of the condenser (outdoor)?
Ice forms for 2 primary reasons:
Ice forms on the copper pipes of the condenser if:
- The gas in the system is insufficient
- Ice-formation on the suction pipe could be caused by a dirty fancoil unit or, a dirty filter or, the indoor unit blower is not rotating..
What should be done if there is a air conditioner refrigerant gas leaking problem?
A trained technician should perform pressure testing to trace and repair the leakage point. Upon completion of leaking repair, a correct amount of refrigerant gas should be top up.
What is the advantage of Air Purifying Filter and how often do we have to replace it?
Air purifying filters can remove smoking odour, human smell, impurities and harmful particles in the air condition space. Most new model of air conditioner comes with air purifying filter. Leaving dirty air purifying filter in the air conditioning system will affect its cooling performance.
Its recommended that the purifying filter is replaced every three to six months.
Why should I sign an aircon servicing maintenance contract?
Having a regular service maintenance importantly ensures you have a healthy living environment. The second benefit is that it usually prolongs the lifespan of your aircon.
Lastly, having a regular maintenance with an aircon servicing company allows you to buy packages at a discount which could save you more money overtime.
What should I look out for when buying an air conditioner unit?
There are 4 areas of consideration to choose an aircon and aircon services in in Singapore:
- Areas required for air conditioning.
- Cooling space and power required.
- Determine the brand and type of aircon you desire, such as aircon servicing efficiency.
- Budget for an air conditioner.
Which air conditioner brands are better?
There are many brands of aircon in Singapore and each brand has their own flagship models (with different strong attributes).
Talk to our air conditioner professionals in Singapore and ask them for their opinions regarding your air conditioner installation.
What is the average lifespan of a residential air conditioner?
With professional aircon servicing and installation, an aircon can last about 6-7 years.
What is the warranty period of aircon units?
In market, the norm is that for residential units, warranty period for the spare part is 1 year and for compressor is 5 years, depending on the supplier/contractor.
What is the difference between a window unit and a split system?
A window unit is a single unit that is installing in any wall or window opening. All the components required for the aircon to function is packaged in it, and no piping in required for its installation.
A split unit consists of an outdoor (external) compressor unit and an indoor (internal) fan coil. The fan coil unit (FCU) helps to cool the room while the external compressor cools the surrounding air and provides it to the FCU. Hence, piping is required for installation.
A multi-spilt unit consists of an outdoor compressor and more than 1 FCU. It enables cooling of multiple rooms simultaneously.
For performance wise, there are two main key differences between a window unit and a split/multi-spilt unit are:
- Window units generally requires more electricity to operate, hence are generally incur a higher monthly electrical bill.
- Because of the way a window unit is designed, it generates more noise during operation.
What does an inverter air conditioner means?
An inverter aircon consists of an inverter circuit which helps to balance and regulate the workload of the compressor. At such, the compressor will work more efficiency and helps to reduce on the electrical bills.
How do I determine the power capacity required?
Generally, use the simple equation below to calculate the amount of power required for a room/space:
Area (length x breath) x 65 = BTU/hr
Example: Room (10 ft x 10 ft) x 65 = 6500BTU/hr
Take the BTU/hr and multiple it with 0.000293 to convert it to KWh (energy unit used in Singapore utility system)
This means that in 1 hour, aircon will require 6500BTU of energy which is about 1.9KWh (6500 x 0.000293) of energy.
The blinking / flashing of indicator light usually indicates that there is a fault with the air conditioning system. Hence the air conditioner switches off by itself. It is a protective function to prevent the air conditioner from further damage.
A qualified air con technician is needed to diagnose and repair the indicator light problem.
Why does the air con switches ON and OFF by itself ?
This usually happens when there is a fault with the indoor electronic circuit board. The circuit board controls the operation of the indoor fan coil and damage causes it to lose its operational control. A repair or replacement of the circuit board is necessary.
Why the air conditioner cannot be switch ON using the remote control ?
The fault might lies in the remote controller or the indoor printed circuit board. Try the remote controller on other fancoil and if it works, your remote controller is fine. If the fault lies in the printed circuit board, you need to engage a qualified technician to do repair on the printed circuit board.
Why is the fan coil unit still operating when the condenser is not?
The fan coil unit and condenser operate independently. The fan coil transfer the cooled air from the condenser to your room while the condenser cools the air. Hence, even if the condenser is faulty, the fan coil will since transfer the air for the condenser to the room.
Do we need to service the condenser (outdoors) ? If, yes, how often?
It is recommended to service the condenser (outdoor air conditioning unit) at least once a year to make sure the air circulation of the unit is not blocked. Having a blocked condenser will affect the cooling efficiency, a shorter compressor life and higher electrical consumption.
Sometimes, it is subjected to environmental condition, which requires a qualified aircon technicians to give recommendations.
What is pressure testing of air conditioning system and why it is needed?
When the refrigerant gas in an air conditioning system depletes away and the air conditioner needs to regularly top up refrigerant gas, we can suspect that there is air conditioning refrigerant leaking in the system.
Pressure testing work will help to identify which is the leakage area. Normally high pressure is induced into the condenser, fancoil and refrigerant piping to identify where is the leakage. Further repair work will be quoted upon identifying the leakage area.
Note: Pressure testing work is a testing process (not repair work) to identify the leakage area. This work will not be able to rectify the fault but it’s a necessary process to define the scope of repair deriving from the result of the testing work. The leakage area defined herein is an indicative section of the refrigerant system.
What types of air conditioners are there?
The different types and brands of air conditioner include:
- Window air conditioner
- Casement air conditioner
- Residential split air conditioner
- Commercial air conditioner (Daikin VRV system)
- Portable aircon
This post is subjected to disclaimer.
Planning to have a nanny to look after your child?…Read More
It is difficult knowing everything before hiring a maid, especially…Read More