As our society progresses, we need more electricity and energy consumption for the betterment of our lives.
Over the years, as electricity dependency increases, we become ever more reliant on it for our daily lives as well as at home – air-conditioners, charging ports, computers, lights, as well as television and many other appliances such as smart home functions.
In Singapore, it is important for you to engage a licensed electrician in Singapore – it is required by law to do so. Check out EMA of Singapore for more information.
Our general advice is that when it comes to electrical works, because it can become complex or be subjected to many human errors or accidents, we strongly advise you to engage or talk to a local qualified electrician for the work.
Cost of Hiring Electricians (Electrician Rates)
Generally, there are 2 kinds of way for electricians to charge by:
- Per hour (time)
- Per project
When hiring electricians, do take note that most of them charge a minimum fee for their visit. Some charge only fees to cover their time and cost, whilst others add a professional assessment fee in the total sum.
There could be some hidden costs in electrical projects, and all these could add up. Be sure to clarify in your call with electricians before hiring them to the site.
Whilst professionals can give you an estimate, it may not necessarily be accurate all of the time. The best is to call up at least 2-3 electricians and ask them for their experience and pricing for each project. There could always be other factors that can affect the cost of your electrical project (such as ERP fees, parking fees). Most importantly, look for a registered EMA licensed worker.
Types of Electrical Services
Here are a list of common electrical services available, offered by electricians on SGHomeNeeds:
- Lighting upgrades
- Electrical upgrades
- Electrical panel upgrades
- Wiring/wire upgrades
- Electrical power point upgrades (such as for TV, heater, aircon)
Installation, repair and replacement
- Circuit breaker (MCB) installation, repair or replacement
- Circuit installations and upgrading
- Power failure and trip repair
- Generator installation, repair and maintenance
- Lighting installation, repair or replacement
- Switch installation, repair or replacement
- Power point installation, repair or replacement
- Electrical appliance install, repair or replacement
- Electrical panel wiring
- Electrical panel installation
- Electrical wiring
- Ceiling fans
- Water heaters
- Power socket or electrical switch installation
- Electrical, cable, telephone socket installation
- Electrical fault/blackout repair
- Short circuit repairs
- CCTV and fire alarm installation
Emergency electrical services
- 24/7 services
- Power Failure & Trip Repairs
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
- Home Electrical Safety
- Transfer Switches
- Shock Prevention Devices
Electrical Inspections and troubleshooting
- General inspections (fault finding)
- Safety inspections
- Child proof sockets and outlets installation
- Electrical surge protectors
- Blackout or power failure analysis
- Preventative maintenance
- Resolve power failure or power trip issues
- Electrical engineering works
- Electrical testing blackout
- Rewiring (full or partial house)
- Electrical extension
Cost of Electrical Works In Singapore
In general, the pricing and services depends heavily on the job scope, location and level of expertise. Some factors include transportation, ERP charges, carpark charges.
Emergency electrical services, especially those in wee hours, have a separate surcharge.
Likewise, if premium materials are being used, additional charges may be added too.
Generally, if there are more jobs within the same project/site, the individual project cost decreases.
Electrical Installation Costs
Installation of ceiling light fitting: From $45
Installation of ceiling fan:
- From $130-$170 (new point)
- From $80-$100 (existing point)
Installation of Chandelier: $100 – $120
Installation of down light: $50-$60
Installation of powerpoint:
- 15A aircon/heater point: From $130-$150
- 13A water heater/washing machine point: $100-$150
Installation of ceiling fan: $80-$160
Installation of wall fan: $80-$120
Installation of light point: $55-$65
Installation of switch: $50-$60
Installation of telephone point: $40-$80
Installation of TV point (SCV/Starhub): $100-$120
Installation of switch socket outlet: $90-$100
Installation of Data/Cable/LAN port: $115-$125
Electrical Repair and Replacement Costs
Replacement of light bulbs/lighting fittings: from $60 (~$40 per additional point)
Replacement of light bulb: $45 – $60
Replacement of light fitting: $45- $65
Replacement of light switch: $50-$75
Replacement of switch socket outlet: $60-$80
Replacement of power socket: $50-$90
If you are looking to do any of the projects above, talk to a few local qualified electricians and compare their quotations and workscope. Ask an electrician for their advice and suggestion how to go about completing your project.
SGHomeNeeds aims to provide a guide of electrical job prices to the best of its ability, but does not guarantee each project to be within the prices stated in the guide.
Please note some factors such as whether there are existing ports, whether there are existing materials (such as bulbs) provided by owners can affect project costs as well.
Thinking of getting a maid, but feeling daunted by the…Read More
Looking for a good electrician company? Maybe your circuit breaker…Read More