As our society progresses, we need more electricity and energy consumption for the betterment of our lives.
Over the years, as electricity dependency increases, we become ever more reliant on it for our daily lives as well as at home – air-conditioners, charging ports, computers, lights, as well as television and many other appliances such as smart home functions.
In Singapore, it is important for you to engage a licensed electrician in Singapore – it is required by law to do so. Check out EMA of Singapore for more information.
Our general advice is that when it comes to electrical works, because it can become complex or be subjected to many human errors or accidents, we strongly advise you to engage or talk to a local qualified electrician for the work.
Cost of Hiring Electricians (Electrician Rates)
Generally, there are 2 kinds of way for electricians to charge by:
- Per hour (time)
- Per project
When hiring electricians, do take note that most of them charge a minimum fee for their visit. Some charge only fees to cover their time and cost, whilst others add a professional assessment fee in the total sum.
There could be some hidden costs in electrical projects, and all these could add up. Be sure to clarify in your call with electricians before hiring them to the site.
Whilst professionals can give you an estimate, it may not necessarily be accurate all of the time. The best is to call up at least 2-3 electricians and ask them for their experience and pricing for each project. There could always be other factors that can affect the cost of your electrical project (such as ERP fees, parking fees). Most importantly, look for a registered EMA licensed worker.
Types of Electrical Services
Here are a list of common electrical services available, offered by electricians on SGHomeNeeds:
- Lighting upgrades
- Electrical upgrades
- Electrical panel upgrades
- Wiring/wire upgrades
- Electrical power point upgrades (such as for TV, heater, aircon)
Installation, repair and replacement
- Circuit breaker (MCB) installation, repair or replacement
- Circuit installations and upgrading
- Power failure and trip repair
- Generator installation, repair and maintenance
- Lighting installation, repair or replacement
- Switch installation, repair or replacement
- Power point installation, repair or replacement
- Electrical appliance install, repair or replacement
- Electrical panel wiring
- Electrical panel installation
- Electrical wiring
- Ceiling fans
- Water heaters
- Power socket or electrical switch installation
- Electrical, cable, telephone socket installation
- Electrical fault/blackout repair
- Short circuit repairs
- CCTV and fire alarm installation
Emergency electrical services
- 24/7 services
- Power Failure & Trip Repairs
- Circuit Breaker Replacement
- Home Electrical Safety
- Transfer Switches
- Shock Prevention Devices
Electrical Inspections and troubleshooting
- General inspections (fault finding)
- Safety inspections
- Child proof sockets and outlets installation
- Electrical surge protectors
- Blackout or power failure analysis
- Preventative maintenance
- Resolve power failure or power trip issues
- Electrical engineering works
- Electrical testing blackout
- Rewiring (full or partial house)
- Electrical extension
Cost of Electrical Works In Singapore
In general, the pricing and services depend heavily on the job scope, location, and level of expertise. Some factors include transportation, ERP charges, carpark charges.
Emergency electrical services, especially those in wee hours, have a separate surcharge.
Likewise, if premium materials are being used, additional charges may be added too.
Generally, if there are more jobs within the same project/site, the individual project cost decreases.
Electrical Installation Costs
Lighting Fixtures Price
- Cost of Installing a Chandelier: $100 – $120
- Cost of Installing a downlight: $50-$60
- Cost of Installing a light point: $55-$65
- Replacement of light bulbs/lighting fittings: from $60 ($40 per additional point)
- Cost of Replacing a light bulb: $45 – $60
- Cost of Replacing a light fitting: $45- $65
- Cost of Replacing a light switch: $50-$75
Lighting is needed for us to continue with our daily routines. Thus, you might as well take the opportune moment to consider your lighting decor that best complements each room in your house.
Prices to install lighting may be cheaper than the lights itself but do consider the fact that labor costs depend on the ease of installation of your electrical appliances.
Find an electrician you trust and get a breakdown from him beforehand to make sure you are comfortable with the cost.
Cost of Installing or Upgrading Your Distribution box
- Cost of Replacing a Distribution box: $100-$140
- Cost of Installing a Distribution box:
- 3 Room Flat: $400 and above
- 4 Room Flat: $500 and above
- 5 Room Flat $600 and above
- For landed houses, the price varies depending on the size of your home and the number of electrical points in your house.
If you have an old home and/or plan to install a new distribution box, the expected cost of installing one would be upwards of $300.
Integrating a new panel box in your home is a complex job, and thus installation costs will fluctuate from household to household.
Get advice from your electrician on whether your distribution box needs replacing so that potential hazards can be avoided.
Average Costs of Installing New Wiring and Switches
Cost of installing wiring:
- 3 room flat: $1500 -$2500
- 4 room flat: $2000-$3000
- 5 room flat: $2500-$4000
- A bigger house can cost above $2500
Depending on the state and design of your home, wiring can differ greatly in terms of price and duration.
Wiring may also require you to modify your current distribution box, which will increase costs.
Get a reliable electrician to come up with a quote for your home spaces, as you could be paying $50-$150 per hour for labour costs.
Cost of Installing or Replacing an Electrical Outlet
- 15A aircon/heater point: From $130-$150
- 13A water heater/washing machine point: $100-$150
- Installation of telephone point: $40-$80
- Installation of TV point (SCV/Starhub): $100-$120
- Installation of switch socket outlet: $90-$100
- Installation of Data/Cable/LAN port: $115-$125
- Cost of Replacing an outlet
- Replacement of switch socket outlet: $60-$80
- Replacement of power socket: $50-$90
Installing an electrical outlet is easy for electricians, which is why some homeowners consider handling the task themselves to save money.
You can try to install your own electrical outlet, but some outlets may require more expert knowledge to install.
A caveat: Installing the outlet incorrectly will lead to safety hazards. It is recommended to have a professional to install an electrical outlet for safety reasons.
An outlet installation will set you back for about $200, but you can often get replacements for other outlets at the same time at a bargained price.
Install and Repair Ceiling Fans
- Cost of installation of ceiling fan from a new point $130-$170
- Cost of installing a ceiling fan from existing point $80-$100
Ceiling fans come in different shapes and size and serve as an economic alternative to air conditioning, which costs more to operate and maintain.
They can also help to reduce the humidity in your house to prevent moisture-related problems. As with lighting, the fan itself might cost more than its installation.
If you are looking to do any of the projects above, talk to a few local qualified electricians and compare their quotations and work scope. Ask an electrician for their advice and suggestion on how to go about completing your project.
- Avoid cheap unlicensed electricians
- Hire EMA licensed electricians
- Go for standard electrician rates
- Ask the electrician do a comprehensive assessment and list out all electrical works needed
- Get a price list with the electrician fees included
- Avoid doing it yourself
Rules and regulations
As the rules and regulations associated with homes and commercial buildings keep changing, you should be aware of all the legal requirements regarding the electrical safety requirements for your home or office.
According to energy market authority Singapore, you must hire certified and licensed electricians to do the electrical work in homes and buildings. Some areas may also have building codes that you must abide by while conducting electrical work.
Violating such local regulations can lead you to fines and penalties and in some cases like damages and injuries due to your faulty electrical system may result in imprisonment.
Remember that the National Electrical Code changes every three years. So make sure you are hiring an electrician who is up to date with the code.
Why Should You Only Hire Professional Electricians?
You may have painted a wall in your room or may have fixed your gadget without any help. But when it comes to dealing with electric wires and connections, it is best to leave it to the pros.
The electrical job calls for the expertise of trained electricians who are duly certified and licensed to practice. You should not trust people without proper certifications or licenses to do your job.
Here are some compelling reasons why you should only rely on professional electricians when it comes to electrical work.
Doing the electricity-related repairs, installations, or maintenance with your limited knowledge of electrical work may lead your way to untoward accidents.
However, professional electricians know the necessary steps and tests to perform before handling electrical wirings.
In addition, they have the tools and protective gears required in their line of work. A qualified electrician can ensure that the installations or repairs made by him will not lead to any fire hazard to your home or building.
Of course, the cost matters when it comes to electrical work. But hiring a cheap electrician can cost you double if you are not satisfied with the quality of work and need to hire another better electrician to fix the substandard job.
A professional may charge a bit higher as their job carries some degree of inherent hazard. But you will get total satisfaction and value for your money.
Abide local regulations
Electrical work should be carried out or supervised by a Licensed Electricians.
Whether you need installation, repair or modification of electrical wiring, you should always hire professional and licensed electricians to do the job.
Engaging an unlicensed electrical worker may cause damage to property and pose safety risks and even penalties.
Professional electricians go through several years of training, and they also need to pass certifications and licensing examinations before practicing their profession.
So hiring trained, experienced and licensed electricians will assure you that you don’t have to bother about the quality and electrical safety. Whatever repair or installation made by a professional will be working for a long time without any problem.
Checklist for choosing right electricians
- Verify licenses and insurances
- Do they provide a fair and competitive quote?
- Do they have enough experience in the field?
- Can they show you references?
- Do they have a professional attitude and apt qualifications?
- Do they offer upfront pricing?
- Are they able to complete your work on the set timeline?
You must hire an electrician who is well equipped and qualified in every way. Finding the right one might seem a bit daunting, but it is worth to invest some time and effort to find reliable, safe, and efficient electricians.
With the above guide, you will be well on your way to finding a reliable and professional electrician to do the job. Putting in a little bit of time initially will save you time and money in the long run.
SGHomeNeeds aims to provide a guide of electrical job prices to the best of its ability but does not guarantee each project to be within the prices stated in the guide.
Please note some factors such as whether there are existing ports, whether there are existing materials (such as bulbs) provided by owners can affect project costs as well.
Thinking of getting a maid, but feeling daunted by the…Read More
Welcoming a little one? Congrats! The thoughts of the welfare…Read More
All homes require painting to maintain its look, appeal and…Read More