All homes require painting to maintain its look, appeal and definitely resale value. Painting can be one of the most effective way to make your house look more vibrant and change the feel.
However, when it comes to actually hiring painters and purchasing paint, it can be confusing due to the number of brands, colors and companies to choose from. In addition to colors, there are finishes, stains, maintenance and other options to consider.
How much does it cost to paint a house in Singapore?
This is a generic question, can the following statistics was gathered by companies on SGHomeNeeds. Please note these rates are averages, and will vary between companies.
How much does it cost to paint a 3-room flat in Singapore?
The cost of painting a 3-room HDB flat in Singapore ranges from $600 – $1300, and takes between 1-2 days.
How much does it cost to paint a 4-room flat in Singapore?
The cost of painting a 4-room HDB flat in Singapore ranges from $700 – $1500, and takes between 1-3 days.
How much does it cost to paint a 5-room flat in Singapore?
The cost of painting a 5-room HDB flat in Singapore ranges from $800 – $1800, and takes between 1-3 days. For 5-room executive flats, it costs around $1300-$1900, and requires 2-4 days.
Cost of painting for other types of housing
- Condo below 1000 sq ft: $900-$1300 (1-4 days)
- Condo 1200-1500 sq ft: $1100-$1600 (1-4 days)
- Condo 1500-1800 sq ft: $1300-$1700 (2-5 days)
- Condo 1800+ sq ft: $1500+ (2-5 days)
- HDB Executive Apartment (EA) (single storey): $900-$1700 (2-4 days)
- HDB Executive Apartment (EA) (double storeys): $900-$2000 (2-4 days)
- HDB maisonette apartment: $1000-1600 (2-4days)
Do note there may be additional charge for extra services, such as protection and moving etc. You may need to purchase protective materials separately. Once such place is Carousell.
Cost To Hire Professional Painters
In Singapore, cost of hiring a painter varies due to different factors, which we will discuss below. You will know factors affecting the cost of hiring a professional painter after reading this section.
Home exterior painting vs home interior painting rates
Professionals may charge based on different methods, mainly:
1. Flat fee (project)
2. Per hour charge
A painter’s estimated rate is usually based on the hours they will require to complete the job, plus:
1. Location (ease of access)
2. Type (exterior vs interior)
3. Expertise (years in trade, experience in complex tasks)
It is usually cheaper to paint a home interior than exterior due to the smaller surface area.
It is a general guide with exceptions, such as having to paint a simple outdoor porch vs painting all the interior walls of a 5-room flat.
Painting Supply Considerations
You may have some paint leftover from your previous projects, or your neighbour might have some spare ones for you to use. In this case, you may want to use or buy your own supply to save some costs.
Truth is, most painters are able to give you separate quotes for labor and materials, just like any other home improvement projects.
If you decide to buy or use your own materials, make sure the painters are informed of your decision and pass this list to the painter.
Here are some of the more critical supplies and tools to help you get by your painting job:
It goes without saying that we may need ladders to reach high places when it comes to painting our home. In this case, ladders will be a useful tool if you decide to DIY paint yourself.
Most painters bring their own ladders to the site, so if you are engaging a painter, you can just clarify with them to confirm they have it during the project.
Gloves and face masks
Most professional painters do have these supplies ready and do not expect you to buy for them.
More often, you’ll need it only when you are DIY painting the room yourself and will be dealing with solvent-based products like thinner.
In this case, gloves and masks can protect you from effects of harmful chemicals, such as respiratory damage.
How Much Does Paint Cost In Singapore?
The price of paint in Singapore varies accordingly to many factors, such as:
- Functions: Such as paint that guards against pests (lizards, mosquitoes)
- Odor-less: Though not entirely “odorless”, the smell such paint produce are lighter
- Special editions: Such as anti-mould paint, easy wash paint, anti-algae paint, roof-specific paint
- Interior vs exterior paint: Paints may also differ simply based on the simple fact they are made for exterior or interior painting.
For more information on products themselves, please check out these brands and platform for the most updated pricing and types of paint:
When finding out the cost of a painting job, the cost of paint itself is obviously a significant factor.
When deciding which paint is the best, you can find out whether the paint have special functionality (such as anti-algae, anti-mould) which can suit your home the best.
Sometimes, the cheapest paint may not necessarily offer you the best value.
When buying paint, this is what you should look out for: You want to get the highest quality paint your budget will allow to ensure its lasting beauty.
If you are doing DIY projects, you will need other painting supplies such as primer, brushes, rollers and painter’s tape. A professional painter usually have these on hands, so more often you only need them if you are doing DIY jobs.
According to statistics, paint and other supplies account for about 15 percent of a professional painter’s total cost; labor will factor into 85 percent of their charges.
Factors Affecting Room Painting Costs
When it comes to painting a room, here are a few factors which may affect your price.
Size of Room to be Painted
Obviously, the bigger the room, the more paint and time needs, the higher will be the cost of painting.
Usually painters will need to ask about the size of your room, and may even ask for your floor plan before doing the work.
Textured walls actually require more paint than a regular, smooth wall. Textured walls adds more surface area even though it doesn’t increase the square footage.
Do make this textured walls clear to your painters as they need to account for the additional paint and time needed. This is a common area where home owners misunderstand and think painters are unreasonable to charge more.
The speed of painters can affect costs as well. Some painters are more experienced and can paint a wall faster, while others may take more time.
Most painters can cover around 100 to 120 sq ft of wall surface in an hour, but this can be affected by the texture of the walls – textured walls, wood or plaster can increase the time needed.
Depending on your project, if you require the first coat of paint to dry before applying the second one, you may need to add more time to the project.
DIY Home Painting
Some of us may choose to paint our home ourselves, be it to save cost or just the simple fact we like to paint our own home.
When it comes to saving costs, do take into account the fact that it can take anywhere from a day to a few days even for the more experienced ones. Here some tips when it comes to DIY painting:
- Choosing the right color: It goes without saying, but when it comes to choosing the right color, you may need to do some reading up. Earth tones and neutrals can cover up marks, scratches and hand prints. Warm or dark colors can give you a totally different feel about the house too.
- Buying the right painting supplies: Beside the paint itself, you will need other tools such as primer, gloves and masks. This even includes protective materials to cover your furniture and items to prevent the paint from staining or damaging them.
- Moving items and furniture: Move them to an area which will be safe from possible damage from the painting work.
- Cleaning the walls to be painted: You can use a wet cloth to wipe the area before painting to ensure dirt will not be trapped in the walls when the paint is on.
- Touching up: Touch up baseboards and ceiling trim as needed after the first and second coat. Touch up any spots on the wall.
Tips For Hiring The Best Painter
When deciding on which painter to hire, keep in mind that different painters best cater to different needs.
Some painters may charge more, but give a longer level of warranty or guarantee in their work. Other painters charge cheaply. Yet others include more value-added services in their work.
The best way is to compare painting quotations between different painting professionals – clarify their pricing, level of service, warranties and other factors, before deciding which is the best for you.
Before hiring professionals, it is best to keep these questions in mind in selecting the best professionals:
- Check for reviews and ratings: At SGHomeNeeds, you can easily view a list of the best rated painting companies. Read these review so you can better set the expectations right. After many projects, you can see which companies have better reviews than the others.
- Ask for multiple quotations: The most effective way to gauge the best pricing and value for your project is to ask for multiple quotations. A few industry experts (with years of experience) giving you the best estimate will probably be extremely helpful in planning your painting job.
- Read fine prints before signing: Often times, fine prints contain details which can be important but often not discussed during your conversation with the professionals. Some may require you to pay a hefty deposit or have special clause in them.
- Interview questions: Before hiring professional painters, you can ask them the following questions to better qualify them:
- How long have you been a painting contractor?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Do you perform the paint job yourself or hire out freelancers?
- Can you provide contact information for previous clients as references?
- Do you have guarantees of your work?
All homes require painting to maintain its look, appeal and…Read More
Welcoming a little one? Congrats! The thoughts of the welfare…Read More
Thinking of getting a maid, but feeling daunted by the…Read More