Moving from one home to another, from one office to another, is usually one of the most stressful things we face in our lives. There are 1001 things to be considered during moving or relocation, and the time and energy needed is another headache for most of us.
When the moving is across the country or to another country, the stress naturally increases by tenfolds! Long-distance moving or international relocation involves careful planning and organization on your part and on the part of the company you pick if you hire movers.
Is it better to hire packers and movers for your home? Are the professionals going to do a good job? Would it be better-off renting a van or truck and moving it yourself? What is the average moving cost like in Singapore?
In this article we will cover the following long-distance moving tips, also known as international moving or international relocation, before you decide to do-it-yourself or hire a professional to do it.
Do-It-Yourself or Hire Movers?
While cost is probably not the main concern for most of us, some of us do want to save the money hiring movers when we are moving.The best case, of course, is to hire movers, but the pricing and the additional worries about them damaging your items during relocation can add to headaches.
If saving money is your main concern, then renting a truck and moving on your own is the most suitable for you. However, long-distance moving takes a long time and probably require a great deal of physical fitness and energy to keep up with the work.
Those who have gotten a good moving company and report a good experience will tell you that it is well worth every penny. On the other hand, those who hire movers that are careless or less than reliable will may advise you against hiring one.
Our advice is for you to save the trouble, time and energy and directly hire a reliable long-distance mover. You can find a list of great international movers who can fulfil your long-distance moving needs, many of which have been reviewed by dozens of satisfied past customers.
DIY Long-Distance Moving Tips
If you decide to do long-distance moving yourself, here are some tips that can smoothen your long distance relocation experience.
- Planning and packing: When it comes to moving, you will want to ensure that every aspect of the moving has been settled and process is according to schedule. The last thing you want is to over-exert yourself AND breaking or misplacing some of your home items. An example is piano moving, where professional experience is needed.
- Get packing materials ready: As the number of items to be moved over long distance is likely to be more than a dozen, ensure that you have plenty of packing material and a way to clearly label your boxes. Always pack one room at a time, and keep the boxes from each room together when you load them; this will be a huge help when it comes time to unload!
- Moving checklist: Ensure that your home moving is complete using a moving checklist. It ensures that you don’t miss out critical elements during moving which may delay the entire process.
Long-Distance Moving Tips (When Hiring Movers)
During long distance moving, especially international relocation, trust and brand is very important.
There are hundreds of international relocation or long-distance movers, but only the top 10-20% of the international movers have consistently good reviews.
Trusts and reviews goes a long way, and an important thing to note is that not all expensive movers are the best in the industry; what it does mean is that you should get moving service quotes from several different companies and pick the one that you feel will do the best job rather than the one that charges the least.
Good communication important when working with movers, and when you find a company that you feel comfortable communicating with, you’re more likely to have a good experience.
Other Long-distance Moving Tips
You can check out a list of good movers screening questions to ask while choosing local and international movers, here are a few samples:
- Do you need storage service to store some of the items? During the time of moving, some items may not be immediately accommodated, and it is important to have a storage specialist help you for the time being.
- Do you need furniture removal specialists for some of the unwanted items?
- Are there any piano moving or heavy item moving? If so, it is important to inform professional movers early so they can prepare, and if you’re doing it yourself, make sure you have the proper equipment for the job handy.
There can’t be too much stress put on good organization. Planning ahead will make a significant difference in the stress level of your move, and will put you on the right track in your new location.
Let’s face it, moving or relocating is very daunting and…Read More
Excited to move into your new home, but unsure where…Read More
Moving to a new place is like an epic journey…Read More